We introduced afternoon Center time last week. The children rotate through 9 centers during the week. Each center is designed to strengthen a skill or concept the children are learning. I will explain each center to you and you can study the pictures to see what skills the children were working on.
 |
These children are working in a center on letter identification/sound and linking letters together to form words (we will get into greater depth with this activity as the year progresses). Right now they are learning the procedures for using center materials and they are learning how to use the materials. I rotate these materials based on the skills I see the class needs to strengthen. Right now they are are just linking letters together and trying to identify sounds.
|
 |
| These children are learning how to use the foam letters to form words. I will introduce a new learning toy to the group before I use it in a small group center. |
 |
| These two used the letter stringing activity to make letter head bands. I thought that was very clever! |
 |
| At this center the children were using some leaf cards to create and extend patterns. They are learning AB, ABB, ABC patterns. Many of the children created new patterns. Most of the children could extend whatever AB, ABB and ABC pattern I created. We practice patterning almost every day. This is important for math and reading. |
 |
| These are themed based candy corn cards that that the children use to count and match the number symbol for the amount on the card. The children work with a partner to check each other's work. |
 |
| This center contains over sized pumpkins with the number symbols written on them. The children can put them in order from the number 1 through 20. They also use these for number identification. The work in pairs to check each other's work. |
 |
| They can also use the pumpkin to place the correct number of objects on it. Right now we are using acorns that you donated to the class. They love this activity! |
 |
| At the Smart Board Center the children can practice writing letters and words, play educational games and watch educational short videos, read books, practice math skills and so much more. This is a favorite center of the class. |
 |
| The dramatic play center is used to support many different skills. Social/Emotional skills are always reinforced in this area. I also use it to support writing skills (making grocery lists, writing birthday cards, writing menus and more). I also support reading by adding in recipes, menus, vocabulary words, books about cooking and using environmental print (like pop tart boxes, cereal boxes and other food labels and wrappers that the kids can identify and read). |
 |
| These children are working in the block area using the black and orange cups to build with. I encourage the children to create pattens with the cups. The children have to work together to create a structure together. I rotate out items for this area. Wooden blocks, cups, Lego's and K'Nex for the children to use to explore structure and form. |
 |
| The children can explore letter stamps, work on books, use paper punches, markers, staplers, word cards and label cards to explore words, work on illustrations and create letters/mail/books/lists. |
 |
In the library area the children can choose from a variety of books, practice their skills they learned in reading workshop (this student is working on pointing to each word using his Super Pointing Finger). They can also use puppets to retell stories and soon I will add the portable CD player and Tape player so they can listen to books on CD and Tape. I am also introducing my iPad to the students so they can use it to read books and play games that will help them with letter/word/reading skills.
I hope this helps you understand how Center Time works. during the afternoons. |