Sunday, October 14, 2012

Earning Pajama Day

I wanted to show you how the children earned their Pajama Day.  Here are some pictures and explanations about our behavior management system. 


This is what our behavior management system looks like.  We have Outstanding, Ready to Learn, Slow Down and Opps!  If the children (as a class, this is part of learning team work and group accountability) end the day with everyone on either Outstanding or Ready to Learn then they mark off a day toward our class goal.  The children voted to have a Pajama Day as their reward for great classroom behavior.

Everyone starts the day on Ready to Learn.  The children can move up or down according to the choices they make.  We have been working hard on social skills (such as tattling, problem solving, kindness and manner) and we have read many books about making good decisions.  They loved "Tattle Tongue", "My Mouth is a Volcano" and "Have You Filled A Bucket Today".  We will reread these books many times this year.

The children are responsible for moving their name either up or down the levels.  This is a physical reminder of the consequences of good and undesirable behavior.  I have a prize jar that I use sporadically to reward students who make Outstanding choices.  To land on Slow Down you must make three decisions that either break the Be Safe, Be Respectful or Be Responsible rules.  They can quickly move back to Ready to Learn by making a good decision.  Landing on Opps is hard, a major rule must have been broken that would cause them or another to be in danger physically or by bullying another child.  Landing on Opps might lead to a letter home, a phone call from the principal or other disciplinary actions.

The children might refer to a BLUE day (Outstanding), a GREEN day (Ready to Learn) or a YELLOW day (slowing down and thinking about our choices).  You don't want to hear that they had a PINK day (Opps). 

The children are really responding to the class management system.  I put a class system in place when they are ready to start thinking as a group/team.  I am noticing that they are starting to help each other make better choices.  I hear them reminding each other to use a level one during reading time, to use a level zero in the hallways, to use nice words, asking each other when they don't have a crayon the right color, offering to help each other, sharing resources, using manners, and being much more respectful to each other.  I am very pleased with the progress they are making forming their classroom community and being accountable for their decisions as a class.  I hope this helps you visualize the system we are using.